For when you're taking your hire car abroad
Hiring a car gives you the freedom to explore your holiday destination. But why stop there? If you're thinking of hopping across the border in to neighbouring countries, don't forget Continental Cover.
Providing all the necessary documentation to prove insurance cover, together with 24 hour breakdown assistance whilst you are overseas, Continental Cover from Budget is essential.
We have selected 4 key questions to keep the information simple and succinct. We understand car rental can be difficult and it's our goal to change this by making all our products and services transparent for our customers.
What is Continental Cover?
Continental Cover provides you with all the necessary documentation to prove insurance cover, together with 24 hour breakdown assistance whilst you are overseas.
Not only is this essential for your own peace of mind, but you will be stopped from taking your Budget hire car outside the country without it.
How can I book Continental Cover?
Continental Cover can be purchased from the following Budget pick-up locations :
|Birmingham Airport||Bristol North||Bournemouth||Bracknell|
|Bristol Central||Dover||East Midlands Airport||Croydon|
|Dartford||Gatwick Airport||Glasgow Airport||Edinburgh Airport|
|Leeds||Leicester||London City Airport||Heathrow Airport|
|Oxford||London Waterloo||Maidstone||London Euston|
|Staines||Peterborough||Newcastle Airport||Manchester Airport|
Having made your reservation online, please contact the pick-up branch to arrange cover ahead of collection.
Please note that when leaving the UK on a cross border rental, we require a minimum of 5 working days notice. The following details are mandatory:
- Number of people travelling in the vehicle
- Names of all drivers
- Countries to be visited
How much does Continental Cover cost?
Continental Cover is charged on checkout and is based on the number of days cover is required. Cover starts from:
|1 - 7 days||£90.00 incl VAT|
|8 - 14 days||£126.00 incl VAT|
|15 - 21 days||£156.00 incl VAT|
|22 days +||£216.00 incl VAT|
Prices quoted are for rentals collected from "Standard" locations. Rentals from "Premium" locations will be higher. Please check the prices during the booking process.
Please note: cash is not acceptable as a method of payment for rentals going abroad.
Where is Continental Cover available?
We are pleased to advise that we will be allowing UK rental vehicles to leave the UK mainland from 1 August 2020 onwards, though it is your responsibility to ensure you are able to comply with the regulations in the countries you intend to travel through. Further information about our Continental Cover can be found below.
Continental Cover is provided for travel to the following countries:
|Bulgaria||Canary Islands||Channel Islands||Corsica|
|Poland||Portugal||Republic of Ireland||Romania|
|San Marino||Sardinia||Sicily||Slovak Republic|
|Turkey in Europe, plus Uskudar|
* Geographical areas under the control of the Government of the Republic of Cyprus.
- Crossing the border from UK Mainland to Northern Ireland - Continental Cover is not required.
- Crossing the border from Northern Ireland to Republic of Ireland - Continental Cover is not required.
- Crossing the border from UK Mainland to Republic of Ireland - Continental Cover must be purchased (even when travelling through Northern Ireland first)
Customers who choose to leave the car on the continent will be subject to charges relating to one way programme outside of the country.
Please note: we are unable to provide any compulsory vehicle equipment required for driving abroad (e.g. warning triangles, first aid kits, fluorescent jackets, breathalysers** etc) which vary by country.
It is the renter's responsibility to be aware of the legal requirements of the country they are visiting and purchase these items themselves.
** Driving in France:
- Legislation from 03 January 2012 means it is now illegal to be warned about the position of both fixed and mobile speed cameras whilst you are driving in France. Use of satellite navigation devices with this functionality could lead to a fine of up to 1500 EUR. Please be aware that Avis GPS devices contain European maps with speed camera information.
- Legislation from 01 July 2012 requires every car in France to carry a single use breathalyzer kit, however there is no longer a fine for not doing so.