Guide to renting a vehicle
Renting a car or van should be straightforward and hassle-free. This guide will take you through everything you need to know about renting a vehicle in your home country or abroad.
Booking a vehicle
If you are booking a rental over the telephone pay close attention to what is and isn't included. You can ask for further information to be emailed to you, or for directions to a website where you can access the rental terms and conditions. Pay close attention to what is included in the rental rate and what isn't, for example:
- Does the rate include unlimited mileage?
- What is the damage excess payment?
- Does the rate include VAT?
- Is there a location surcharge (many airport sites have one)?
- Are there any restrictions applied to the rate (e.g. weekend rates will normally require you to return the vehicle before a specified time on Monday morning)?
- Is there an extra fee to pick up and drop off the vehicle in different locations?
- Is there an extra fee for travelling into another country?
It is important to select the right vehicle for your needs. Whilst a rental company cannot always guarantee a particular make or model of vehicle, you should select the vehicle category group that best meets your needs, especially if you are carrying luggage and passengers. If you wish to hire additional products e.g.child car seats, snow chains or satellite navigation, ask about these when you make your booking and be aware of any additional costs.
Leaseurope brings together 46 member associations representing the leasing, long term and/or short term automotive rental industries in the 33 European countries in which they are present. The scope of products covered by Leaseurope's members ranges from hire purchase and finance leases to operating leases of all asset categories (automotive, equipment and real estate) and includes the short term rental of cars, vans and trucks.
It is estimated that Leaseurope represents approximately 96% of the total European leasing market.
The Federation's mission is to represent the European leasing and automotive rental industry, ensuring the sector's voice is heard by European and international policy makers. Leaseurope also seeks to promote the leasing and automotive rental products and produces European level statistics describing the markets it represents.