BREXIT CAR RENTAL: PLANNING YOUR TRIP ABROAD IN THE EVENT OF NO DEAL
Planning to drive to Europe this spring or summer?
Here's what you need to know about Budget car hire in the event of a no-deal Brexit.
UPDATE 12 November, 2019
To understand the latest requirements for driving in the EU or the EEA (Iceland, Liechtenstein and Norway) after Brexit, please see the UK government's website for up to date information.
To help you prepare to drive in the EU after Brexit in the event of a no deal Brexit, please review the summary of requirements below:
If you are planning on driving to countries in the EU or the EEA in the near future, in the event of a no deal Brexit, you may need extra documentation:
UK driving licences:
- From 31 January 2020, UK drivers may need an international driving permit (IDP) to drive in the EU and EEA.
- IDPs can be purchased from the Post Office.
EU driving licences:
- Even if there is no deal to leave the EU, arrangements for EU licence holders who are visiting or living in the UK will not change.
- Visitors with EU driving licences will not need an IDP to drive in the UK.
Taking a UK hire car abroad
If you are renting in the UK and planning to take your hire car to the EU or EEA, you will need to carry a ‘Green Card’. To get one of these, you will need to organise Continental Cover. To arrange cover, please call our reservations hotline at least five days ahead of collection.
- This protective cover provides you with a Green Card to drive your rental car around Europe and to show that appropriate third-party liability insurance is in place.
- Continental Cover also provides you with “Vehicle on Hire Certificate” (VE103B).
- If the UK leaves the EU without a deal, you may need a GB sticker on the vehicle even if the vehicle has a Euro-plate (a number plate displaying both the EU flag and a GB sign).
- You may not need a GB sticker to drive outside the UK, if the number plate features the GB sign, without the EU flag.
- These vehicle documents will be provided by the rental location on collection of your hire vehicle when continental cover is arranged. This should be arranged in advance.
- For full details on Continental Cover, please see here.
To find out more information for how to prepare to drive in the EU after Brexit, please government guidance here.